I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving…or normal day at the office depending on where you live. I ate like a Queen and am doing some Black Friday shopping today.
In the spirit of the holiday Im sharing my stuffing recipe. I used to use Stovetop which, lets be honest, for a boxed stuffing is pretty good. I decided to switch to homemade stuffing and havent looked back since. This recipe is always a hit and tastes excellent leftover (which, come on, there are always leftovers). I usually have 8-10 people over and this is plenty for all of us.
Sausage, Apple, and Brie Stuffing
Servings: ~12 Prep Time: 15min Cook Time: 50min Difficulty: Easy
- 1 pound ground country pork sausage (in the breakfast section)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 peeled, cored and chopped granny smith apples
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups cubed old bread ciabatta bread (go to the day old section at the grocery store, you save money and it still taste great)
- 1-2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces brie cheese rind removed, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown sausage in a large pan over medium heat. Once sausage has cooked through drain excess grease and set aside.
- In the same pan that you browned the sausage in, melt the butter. Once melted stir in fennel, nutmeg, salt, apples and onions. Cook until apples and onions have softened. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in bread and sausage. Toss to coat bread completely in the butter. Pour in 1 cup of broth. Mix well. Pour in more broth if a softer stuffing is desired. Stir in diced brie.
- Transfer stuffing into preheated baking dish. If making the day before stop here. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake in oven for 35 – 40 minutes. Or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. Serve hot. If you refrigerated this you may need to cook longer or let it come to room temp before cooking. I set my stuffing out about an hour before I need to cook it and that works fine for me.
CHIME IN!!! Do you like stuffing? What was your favorite thing to eat yesterday? Are you black friday shopping?