The Carolinas, A Marathon, and Other Random Things(TOL #32)

Happy day before Friday everyone!  Its been far too long since I’ve done a random thought dump for Thinking Out Loud (thanks for hosting Amanda, link here).  So here goes, in no particular order:

Thinking-Out-Loud

1.   We went to Charleston last weekend and all I can say is BLAH!  Sorry if you live there but I was so totally underwhelmed.  The pineapple fountain was awesome but on the whole the city felt dirty and run down.  I was hoping it was going to be similar to Savannah but alas it was not.  We were going to spend the day there but ended up driving to Myrtle Beach instead.

pineapple fountain

2.  Speaking of Myrtle Beach, I was pleasantly surprised with this city.  I thought it was going to be some nasty tourist trap but the parts we went to were nice and not very crowded for a Saturday.  The water was SO COLD which is a big change from the bathwater in Galveston.  While I probably wont go back here (its pretty expensive to stay) it was nice to visit for the day and say we have been there.

myrtle beach

3.  I am back running which is good because I need to stay in shape but bad because I’m still tired of running.  I think Paris is a little too far off and I know the summer heat wave is coming and I’m not looking forward to that at all.  Anyone have any tips for staying cool in the heat other than running in the early morning and pouring water over your head.

runningecard

4.  In other news…I signed up for my first marathon last week.  YIKES and YAY all at the same time.  Of course its the Walt Disney World Marathon in January so plenty of time to prep but yeah…that happened 😉

WDW Marathon

5.  Now that I’m back eating carbs I have more energy but I’m sleeping like crap.  You know when you are bone tired but your mind just wont be quiet and let you get some gosh darn sleep.  Yeah that’s whats going on around here lately.  Maybe its the sugar, maybe its things on my mind, who knows but I’m ready to get some good comatose sleep STAT.

17b74c4a12700367640c74c7c576b4d7

6.  Anyone reading the Outlander series?  I’m on the 4th book and really enjoy the series.  I read a blurb from the author’s website yesterday saying she experiments with each book on how she writes them.  Like point of view, transitions, story prose, you know things like that.  Now that I know that the books make a little more sense.  You would have to have read (or in my case listened to) the books to understand what I mean but I think that’s very interesting.  Totally random tangent I know but I just found that out the other day and thought I would share.  If you aren’t reading Outlander you need to, its pretty intriguing.

outlander-book-series

7.  I know this wont be earth shattering news, but have you ever tried loose leaf tea?  I don’t remember exactly when I tried it for the first time but oh my goodness the flavors of loose leaf tea are so much more intense than bagged tea its silly.  Teavanna makes some great blends in their store but holy crap its expensive.  David’s Tea’s are much more affordable but I find the flavors aren’t as complex…if that makes sense.  Moral of this random story is you should try loose leaf tea with a tea press (like this one) it will make you feel fancy and tea is so much better for you than coffee.

8.  I may be going to New York City in June and I am so excited about it.  I cant wait to eat all the food, watch a Broadway show and see more of Central Park!  I really love visiting New York but could never imagine living there.  I took this picture the last time I was there…with my cell phone!  I know, crazy right!

NYC sunset

CHIME IN!!!  Have you been to NYC?  Loose leaf tea, bagged tea or no tea at all?  Ever been to the Carolinas?

18 Comments Add yours

1. Kim says:

Outlander is my favorite series. Love love love. I have read them all multiple times including all the Lord John books. So many sleepless nights saying to myself one more chapter.

On the tea thing- I regularly bought from teavana, but recently at Jojo’s suggestion tried out David’s tea and have been quite pleased!

Liked by 1 person

1. your the one who put the outlander bug in my head to begin with!! im glad you like david’s teas i think i need more flavors i might just be burnt out on my movie theater flavor 🙂

1. Kim says:

What is the movie theater flavor? I am so glad you like like the books 🙂

2. its green tea and has pieces of popcorn in it, i liked the name but the popcorn gets old after a while lol

2. kristinegift says:

Disney will be such a good marathon! Especially as a first. It’s so much fun that it distracts you from just how many miles you’ve run/have left to do!

Re: Carbs and sleeping like crap — I had a friend on My Fitness Pal tell me that if you eat a lot of carbs/sugar before bed, you’re more likely to sleep poorly because it makes you warmer. I definitely find this to be true. I try not to eat my typical late night chocolate & gummies snack after 8 pm, and I’ve found that if I stick to that, I sleep better and don’t wake up all sweaty after an hour.

NYC will be so fun! I’ve been to NYC twice. I’ve lived in Princeton for 1.5 years and been to NYC one time which is pathetic because a lot of people I know commute from NYC a few times a week or go up there every other weekend, lol. NYC just isn’t really my cup of tea, but it’s a fun place to be a tourist! I’ve had fun whenever I’ve gone there, but I’m always with friends. I don’t have the energy to go on a day trip solo.

Liked by 1 person

1. thats interesting that sugar before bed makes you warmer! i will definitely keep and eye on the time and see how that goes. I feel the same NYC is fun to be a tourist and visit once in a while but not all the time, is it bad to say its too active for me lol

Liked by 1 person

1. kristinegift says:

That’s kind of how I feel about NYC. It’s too busy for me. And I always feel hopelessly lost taking public transit, lol.

Liked by 1 person

3. koolaidmoms says:

Just looked up Outlander and am thinking of picking one up next time I am out to read it. I LOVE NYC! We used to live in NY state but moved to the mid-west 3 years ago. Miss everything from NY (except the taxes).

Liked by 1 person

1. wow from NY to mid-west that is a big change! I bet you miss it!!

1. koolaidmoms says:

I like the small town where we are for my children but I miss being closer to things to do all the time and restaurants that don’t close at 9 pm!

Liked by 1 person

4. Congratulations on signing up for your first marathon! I was so tempted to sign up for the Disney World half this week, but I am holding out for the full marathon next year because it will be on my birthday. The half is on my birthday this year but the budget is just not there for both races.

For tea I am a huge fan of Harney and Sons. They make tea sachets which are supposed to be the convenience of tea bags, but with the full tea leaves/herbs of loose leaf.

Liked by 1 person

1. thank you! aww running a marathon on your birthday that just makes it so much more special! yeah those disney races get so expensive if you want to do multiple races in a year they sure do make it hard. I’ll have to check out Harney and Sons that sounds so much more convienent and better to use at work, thanks!!

5. I LOVED NYC! We went about 8 years ago and I would go back in a heartbeat! I visited South Carolina when I was in 4th grade, so my point of reference might be off a bit. We went to Myrtle Beach right after a hurricane had been in the area. It was pretty messy, but we found a ton of cool stuff on the beach because of it. Good luck with your first marathon!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I was hoping to find some cool shells at myrtle but no such luck, hurricanes suck but they sure bring up interesting things 🙂

6. Wow I was really interested to hear your thoughts about Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I have always wanted to visit (and run marathons) in both – so it is helpful to hear that Charleston may not be all I’ve pictured it to be! Myrtle Beach it is then!

I’ve done the Disney marathon 6 times now and it is an INCREDIBLE race. Can’t wait to hear about your training adventures – good luck!!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! I’m working on a travel journal post on those places Monday, myrtle Beach would be a fun place to run a marathon!

7. cantstopbaking says:

Did you see the Disney Princess Run that Disney is putting on? I want to get the girls and I and see which princess can run the farthest.

1. the disney princess half marathon weekend? i’ve done that a few times is a lot of fun 🙂