With the summer heat in full swing more and more runners are turning to the treadmill to get their runs in, myself included. I know a lot of people call it the “dreadmill” but I have come to love my treadmill. I am sharing my top 5 ways to say motivated when using a treadmill because I know its tough to get to that love relationship 😀
- Come prepared with something to watch/read/listen to. My go to is Glee because its the perfect mix of TV and music. My treadmill runs are usually around 40 minutes which is also the same time as the show. That’s what I call a win win!
2. Make sure you have water, a towel, headphones, and fuel if its a long run. Its easy to find an excuse to stop running on the treadmill but if you come prepared you make it just a little bit easier to keep running.
3. I like to do intervals and hills on the treadmill because #1 it kinda forces you to keep a certain pace and #2 it breaks the run up. What started out as a 50 minute run turns into a 10 minute warm-up, 2 min interval 2 min rest, etc. That way you are focusing on a smaller chunk of time rather than “oh my gosh I have 45 minutes left!!!”. Makes time go by a little faster.
4. If you have a treadmill at home get a fan to circulate air and blow on your face/body. That was my biggest life saver was adding a fan to my treadmill. I get so warm and miss the air rushing across my face outside so the fan really helps with that. Extra bonus points if you have a treadmill with a builtin fan those are awesome!
5. Last but not least, embrace the treadmill for what it is, a tool to help you reach your goals. If I need to get a workout in but its raining outside, hooray I don’t have to miss that workout now because I can just use the treadmill. Its 90 degrees outside with full sun and I need to get a 8 mile run in, hooray I still can because I have a treadmill. Change your perspective of the treadmill and it will be so much easier to run those 90 minutes…trust me I’ve been there 🙂
CHIME IN!!! What are your treadmill tips? What’s the longest run you have done on a treadmill? How is your day going?