Its officially September (ok well it was last time I did this post but now its been a full week) and that means cooler temperatures are just around the corner. We’ve had 1 or 2 fall-ish days and I’m already excited for it. Give me all the pumpkin, fall foliage, autumn festivities I want it all!!!
Linking up with Amanda to think out Loud. You can read the full post here.
- This time last year I was elbow deep in Harry Potter party planning. While I’m super excited to be doing to Paris this year for my birthday, the nerd part of me wished I was doing this party again. It really was a lot of fun. You can read all about it here but check out the blog header Harry Potter Party for all the posts in one place.
2. We are building a pretty big entertainment center in our living room which is forcing me to keep my fall decorating put up until that is done. We are going to have to paint it which is going to be messy, better leave the decorations in the box until after that. I’m sad because I love having my fall stuff up early, but its probably for the best since autumn doesn’t officially start until September 22 anyway! #homeownerproblems lol
3. I’m changing territories at work again and while I’m happy to not go to San Antonio all the time I’m going to miss the people there. Its strangely bittersweet, I didn’t think I would have feelings about it but I do. If you know me in real life you know I’m not an extrovert and don’t do well meeting lots of new people. I am not looking forward to the change but hey that’s life and just keep moving forward!
4. I printed all my tickets and info for Paris today. Yup, S*&t just got real! I now have to make sure I can use my hairdryer and curling iron in Paris and then start packing!!! Who wants to come help me pack, I have no idea what to wear in Paris. Ok I have SOME idea but I don’t want to look American and get an English menu 😉
5. Speaking of home improvement…we are almost totally done with the stairs!!! You can see from the picture almost exactly what its going to look like all we have to do now is the trim pieces and some touch-up paint. Let me know if you want a run-down of how we did it I can totally do a post on it. I am so happy with how its turned out.
6. I’m feeling very un-inspired lately. Posts are feeling forced and not myself. I think a blog break may be coming soon just to clear my head and come back with some fresh posts. It might also be that I’m just plain exhausted…who knows, sleep-deprivation is a terrible thing. Instead I’m going to leave you with a sunset from my run the other day. This one is slightly edited 🙂
7. What’s new with you?
4 more weeks until race day. I’m thinking my body is going to give me trouble so I may not be getting the time I hoped for but that’s life for a runner. Things happen, we adjust and keep moving.
Tuesday: Easy run today, 4 miles at average pace of 10:50. I know under 11 minutes, its crazy talk. Well this morning was pretty cool and I wasn’t struggling to breathe like I have been so that was nice. By the time I got home from work my left hip was beyond stiff and I was walking really stupid. I spent extra time stretching / foam rolling / yoga poses to keep up with the quad and work out the hip. I used ice/heat and the torture devices to try and work it out. Pain pain and more pain. I skipped pop pilates today to give my hip a break. To say I am beyond annoyed with these muscle issues is an understatement.
Wednesday: My hip is still super tight so I decided not to run today. More foam rolling / heat / torture devices / bio freeze / alieve to work on inflammation. I put a call in to my doctor to refill my prescription anti-inflammatory and made an appointment for next weekend with an acupuncturist. I’m going to do as much as I can to get this fixed.
Thursday: Scheduled rest day today and I’m taking full advantage by doing more ice/heat therapy, more foam rolling and more torture devices. The things runners do to get our bodies back at it!
Friday: Recovery run and honestly a test run to see how my body is feeling. Its one thing to walk around and feel ok, its something entirely different to run. Hip is still pretty stiff and was an annoyance the whole run but it wasn’t so bad I had to stop. Ended with 3 miles at 11:22 pace which I was happy with. More heat therapy and torture tools that night to work out as much as I can before tomorrows long run.
Saturday: Half an english muffin with almond butter and banana then it was out the door. My whole body was stiff today which made for a slower pace but I was able to get 10 miles in. I took a gel at mile 5 and listened to some fun podcasts to keep me going. Thank goodness Joe had to work today, he brought me more water at mile 7 and I had almost run out. I felt tight and not great the whole run but finished with 10 miles at 11:52 pace, its a lot slower than what was on tap but I figured slow it down get the time in and it will be fine. I did end the run 8 minutes short because I had made it to my street and once I see my house my brain is done. I didn’t get to do my detox bath because I needed to get to french lessons but I did do about 20 minutes of stretching / foam rolling / yoga poses / heat therapy that night to make up for it.
Sunday: Scheduled rest day and it felt so good to sleep in!!! I put heat off and on to the hip then at the end of the night I did my yoga poses / foam rolling / stretching. It hurt but in the “this is going to feel good later” kind of way 🙂 Oh and we are installing a media center in out living room so today was also spent “supervising” that project…while watching Harry Potter weekend.
Monday: Scheduled rest day! I was going to start POP pilates for September today but we had friends over so I decided to push it back. It was so nice to have 2 days off in a row that I didn’t have to go to work. My body needed the rest for sure.
CHIME IN!!! How did your workouts go this week? Whats more important to you, hitting the distance or the pace? What has been your longest run lately?
Happy Friday everyone! I’m linking up with Courtney and Mar to bring you some Friday things on fitness today. Check out the full link-up here.
I’m still working on the issue with my quad but these 5 tips have helped alleviate the pain and have put me back on the road to no issues. Funny (not funny) how these things crop up so close to race day.
- RICE Method. I didn’t catch on right away so I did this probably later than I should have but Rest-Ice-Compress-Elevate. I used an ice-pack that can be wrapped around the leg so it got as deep down in the muscle as I could get it. Only ice the area for 10 minutes. Don’t put the ice directly on the skin to prevent burning, wrap in a towel or use an ice-pack that has a built in insulator.
2. Heat therapy. After the RICE I put a heating pad on the area for probably 30 minutes. You only need to do 10 minutes but I was cold and it felt nice. Heat is optional and to be done after the ice. Be careful here again that you don’t burn yourself since your skin will be pretty cold from the ice.
3. Massage. I didn’t actually get to do this one because my substitute therapist cancelled on me the night before and there was no one else available. Boo on you therapist. Massage helps promote recovery and gets the blood flowing to your muscles. Massage is a great way to get your muscles back to normal after long runs. Remember to drink lots of water after to flush the toxins out of your body post massage.
4. Anti-Inflammatory medicine. I use alieve it seems to work the best for me but advil and tylenol are good too. I did have a prescription anti-inflammatory that worked really well indomethacin but it ran out and had no refills. Pineapple is actually a very good natural anti-inflammatory and with some nutella its just downright delicious 🙂
5. Stretching. You can read about my yoga poses here but stretching and foam rolling with some of my torture devices has helped. The stretches will depend on where you have your issue but its always a good idea to do some light stretching to keep your body limber.
CHIME IN!!! Have anything to add to this list? Do you like nutella and pineapple? Massages, love them or hate them?
Its about to be a holiday weekend!!! Yay Labor Day, you make September awesome!!! I love Labor day, its a random holiday that we don’t really celebrate so its a day that I get to sit at home and chill instead of being in an office I dread. I don’t know all the history behind Labor Day but it makes me happy 🙂
Linking up with Amanda to Think Out Loud, click here for the full link-up.
- Everything hurts and I’m dying. Sorry to start off on a bad note…let me turn it around…I’m getting acupuncture next weekend! Its still really weird to me but the few times I’ve done it in the past for my shoulder have been very effective. I was hoping to get it done this weekend but with the holiday that was a no go 😦 Looking forward to being stabbed by tiny needles yay!
2. Who is doing Pop Pilates Blogilaties September calendar?! I just printed mine yesterday and cant wait to get toned up and feeling great. I love how its several videos so I can break the workout up if I need to. I don’t know why but 2 10 minute videos is so much easier to me than 1 20 minute video. These videos also kick my booty, they are so challenging in a good way.
3. I posted this on instagram earlier in the week but we have been working on our media room this past month and are almost done. My vision for the stairs is coming together and I could not be happier with how it turned out. I am so glad I have a husband that can draw otherwise this would not have turned out as beautifully. He hand drew each letter and I painted them. I cant wait for the whole thing to be done!
4. I found my neighbor’s dog wandering around outside the other day and brought him inside to my house until the got home. Poor puppy was filthy and terrified but luckily my dogs were so well behaved and were nice to the little guy. When I called my neighbor apparently the dog is prone to seizures, yikes! Good thing that didn’t happen I would have felt so terrible. Isn’t he just so cute though.
5. I may be boarding the NUUN train. I used to use Gatorade drink packets (like crystal light) but heard about NUUN and decided to try it out. Gatorade gets a little sugary so I wanted to try something different. At first I really hated NUUN because its slightly fizzy and I am so not into that. The more I used it though the more I liked it because I felt less thirsty drinking this than the Gatorade, which during summer, at the end of the day, is the priority. I’ve tried the tropical fruit, citrus fruit and strawberry lemonade with the citrus fruit being my favorite so far.
6. Aaaannnnnd apparently I have no more thoughts, this post has been sitting here too long so I’m going to end this one with a funny pic!
7. Whats new with you?