Surprise, surprise Im on my way to Walt Disney World. Yes you’re all shocked I know 😀 Its been a while since I’ve ran the Princess Half Marathon Weekend and what better year to come back then the 10th anniversary with all new medals and themes!
With that being said, packing for a race, let alone a runDisney race can be a process! Let me break down the essentials that I pack and some that may not be essential but I bring because…well I just do. This packing list is for running a challenge race, meaning more than 1 race in a weekend. Yes there is a different set of packing items for running a single race versus multiple races.
- 2 pairs of running shoes (yes 2 pair, one for each race. I use different shoes for different distances)
- Complete running outfit for each race
- KT tape, just in case
- Diaper rash cream (really, you know why)
- Running watch
- Chargers for all electronics
- English muffin/almond butter/banana (whatever you have pre-run for breakfast)
- Cliff gel (just in case, Disney has changed their mid race fuel on me before and I dont take chances with new things on race day)
- Honey stinger waffle (shorter distance day)
- Foam roller and other stretching things
- Depending on the weather, throw away layers and a garbage bag
- Flip belt for my phone and gels
- Compression calf sleeves
Seems like a lot I know but I want to have successful race days and I want you to have them too! Some of these items you can buy at the expo (like nuun and cliff gel) but I have a stock pile at home so I save a little money by bringing it myself.
The biggest “lesson learned the hard way” was the layers of clothes. My first marathon it was very cold (like 20 degrees cold). I knew it was going to be that cold before I left but I didn’t pack accordingly and I was close to hypothermia by the start of the race. I really hate throwing away clothes but Disney cleans and donates those clothes so I’m not as sad about it. Pro tip – buy sweatpants and sweatshirts from Wal-Mart. They are about $5 each and are clean. I have a weird thing about buying “used” clothes. It’s weird I know, don’t judge me too harshly 😉
Tip for picking the clothes for your race, check the weather about a week before then again a few days before. I have seen the temperature drop by 30 degrees in a matter of days and you can imagine that has an impact on what you wear on race day. Keep the weather in mind. For this race I’m bringing the coolest clothes I have as the temps will go up into the high 80’s…YIKES!!!
CHIME IN!!! What is one thing you cant live without on a run? Will you be at the Princess Half Marathon the weekend? What’s new with you?!